Experienced Software Thought-Leader
25-year industry veteran with deep experience delivering SaaS applications. Driven, competitive, and extremely passionate about providing meaningful solutions to customer problems. Enthusiastic leader and effective change agent with proven ability to build and manage highly productive teams, grow business through effective relationship management, and solve complex problems. Demonstrated experience with global sourcing, managing globally distributed teams, and servicing global markets. Core competencies include:
- Strategic Planning
- Financial Modeling
- Client Relations
- Product Development
- International Business
- Program Management
- Team Building & Leadership
- Software Architecture & Engineering
Walter is responsible for strategic growth, building out the blockchain practice, and executing the venture studio business model. As Vice President of Strategy, Walter is responsible for strategic growth at Smashing Boxes. Walter believes in growth through focus on operational excellence, service readiness, service delivery, and hyper-focused go-to-market strategies. Additionally, Walter is responsible for executing on the venture studio business model, as conceived by CEO Nick Jordan. As Blockchain Practice Lead, Walter is responsible for creating, growing, and leading Smashing Boxes blockchain practice. As a technology leader, Smashing Boxes is committed to blazing a trail where the web is going next. So it is only natural that the company be committed to one of the foundational underpinnings of Web 3.0; blockchain technology. Smashing Boxes is ready to lead customers and partners on their own blockchain journey.
Use lean startup techniques to create a business from the ground up. Develop a sustainable business model, determine the addressable market and identify customer beach-heads. Manage the boards of directors and advisors. Manage investors, navigate legal and regulatory issues, and manage product development. Prepare budgets, manage burn-rate, and perform financial reporting. Pitch the business.
- Entrepreneur in Residence, The Startup Factory, Fall 2012
- Entrepreneur in Residence, Bull City Startup Stampede 3.0
- Responsible for “fixing” the troubled Learning Management System product
- Performed source code audit
- Determined greenfield approach necessary due to massive technical debt
- Redesigned the product using microservice architecture secured via OAuth/OIDC
- Implemented CI/CD processes leveraging AWS, Docker, Docker Swarm, and Drone
- Train development team in various concepts
- Onion Architecture
- DDD (Domain Driven Design)
- Microservice API pattern
- Unit testing
- Lead team in the development of Angular client application
- Lead team in the development of back-end microservice APIs
- Design and manage DynamoDB database
- Integrate IdentityServer4
- Enterprise Architect on team developing the “next-gen” platform for healthcare information exchanges (HIEs) / marketplaces in support of the Affordable Care Act.
- Contribute to overall architecture as a member of the Architecture Governance Team
- Design and implement platform Identity and Access Management solution (IAM)
- Design and develop Member Profile microservice that could be sourced from partner data
- Design and develop external and internal SSO leveraging OAuth 2.0 and OIDC solution including a SAML 2.0 - integrated partner proxy service (Oracle Identify Federation and Okta)
- Implement various REST-based micro-service APIs
- Re-architect/design a failing multi-threaded windows service for advanced sourcing
- Implement OAuth 2.0 for the Recruiting Mirror suite front-end and APIs
- Lead the iPaaS development team in the delivery of various shared services features, including SSO, APIs, and an SDK.
- Introduced Domain Driven Design and the Onion Architecture to both iPaaS and Recruiting Management System (RMS).
- Contribute to RMS as a software engineer and software architect.
Responsible for overall technology vision, product development, and customer delivery for SaaS-based software company servicing SMBs through global telecommunications partners. Leading all aspects of architecture and product development, including all build vs. buy analysis, investment rationalization, and delivery schedule for portfolio of products.
- Developed and maintained products servicing SMBs in global markets including the UK, Switzerland, Canada, and Mexico; including TradeSpace, a social marketing platform for small business.
- Managed the world’s largest MS SharePoint deployment, BT TradeSpace, with 300K+ sites.
- Strengthened BT partnership by building a professional and disciplined product development apparatus enhancing organizational credibility.
- Member of the senior leadership team responsible for planning and coordinating strategy, budgeting, and business development.
- Managed globally distributed product development organization.
- Managed the front-line relationships with global telecommunications industry partners including BT, TelMex, Swisscom, and Telus.
Responsible for all aspects of starting and operating a small business; including legal, finance, sales and marketing, and operations. Responsible for developing and executing go-to-market strategy and marketing plans. Manage globally distributed professional services organization. Provide program management support for various private and public sector engagements.
- Delivered next-generation .NET Windows client software for Transmitter Location Systems initially deployed with SatMex.
- Delivered multi-modal biometric and bio-demographic analysis system, BAIT, for Verizon Business.
- Delivered an information warfare training platform, NEMISYS, for Verizon Business.
- Web-enabled Qwest’s B2B sales process for Mural Consulting.
Responsible for ensuring that customers achieve maximum ROI from their Microsoft technology investments. This included creating service offerings and programs, aligning IT strategy with the direction of next-generation technology, and coordinating activities across the customer footprint in a synergistic fashion. Engaged directly with Fortune 500 senior leadership, including C-suite executives. Evangelized the benefits of Microsoft .NET server software and development tools to key customers and partners in the telecommunications sector.
- Motorola: $30M+ account.
- Key member of global account team responsible for planning and executing account strategy.
- Interfaced with corporate CIO, CSO and liaised with individual business unit CIOs.
- Crafted solutions for $1B+ business problems across the Motorola footprint, including Motorola Online (MOL), PCS Global Awareness marketing web site, and others.
- Key contributor in the vetting process for $1.6B IT outsourcing deal; Infosys, Wipro, and CSC.
- NTT Verio
- Grew engagement revenue from $200K to $3M+
- Guided the development and implementation of NTT Verio’s managed services strategy.
- Demonstrated effective partner management, successfully engaging resources from Accenture, HP, Fujitsu, and others.
- Devised a .NET platform migration strategy for Verizon.com.
- Developed a .NET-based solution, Finance iConsole, for Verizon’s multi-billion dollar receivables and collections issue.
- Lead the Microsoft Passport Managed Namespace SDK development team.
- Additional accounts included Williams Energy Services, Global Crossings, and Nextel.
MARCHFIRST, INC. (USWeb/CKS), Herndon, VA | Senior Manager, iFrame Platform Services Group | 1999 -2001
Responsible for defining the overall product feature set of iFrame, the managed services hosting platform (cloud service). Defined and delivered iFrame Directory and Security Services. Responsible for product management, program management, and product development. Manage teams in both Herndon, VA and Redmond, WA. Manage the front-line partner relationship with Microsoft; ensuring maximum ROI of its $90M investment in the Managed Services Division. Work directly with Microsoft program and product managers to drive new feature requirements for Microsoft’s next-generation server products and development platforms (.NET) that would later support the managed services and SaaS delivery model (Azure).
- Developed scalable, high-availability directory and security services platform.
- Contributed to the development of the USWeb/CKS Account Management Methodology.
- Helped grow the organization from 7 people to over 200 people.
- Helped Microsoft program managers understand high-availability and scalability requirements that its server products had to meet in order to enable suitable SLAs from hosting partners.
|2019||Sloan School of Management
|Executive Certificate in Strategy and Innovation
Focus: Blockchain, Platform Strategy, Design Thinking, Digital Marketing
UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD
|Certificate, EU Market Dynamics
Focus: Business in the EU
|2010||School of Management
GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY
Focus: Entrepreneurship, International Business & Emerging Markets
|1997||Volgenau School of Engineering
GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY
|Bachelor of Science, Major in Computer Science
Focus: Distributed Computing and Parallel Algorithms
|2002||Microsoft NSP Utilization Award||Cash award|
|1997||SENTEL Employee Excellence Award||Cash award and certificate|
|1995||GMU Outstanding Employee of the Quarter||Cash award and certificate|
|1994||AOL Innovation Award||Cash award and certificate|
|1991||RSA Scholar Award||Excellence in academic achievement for an undergraduate Computer Science student|
|US8401960||Online Credit Escrow Service||The online credit service is the business method and associated technology
that enhances the accuracy in credit reporting by applying escrow
techniques to credit-influencing consumer and commercial transactions.
Held positions, during the 1990s, of progressively increased responsibility requiring deeply technical software engineering skills and thought leadership. The experiences and roles ranged between research, internal IT, product support, product development, and consulting. Evolved from software engineer and technical lead into software architect and project manager. Completely technology agnostic during this period. Focus was developing cross-platform client-server applications targeting many different operating systems using many different programming languages. Developing proprietary middleware was a specialty. Developed applications servicing several industries as varied as defense and insurance.
|1997 – 1999||Corporate Software & Technology||Sr. Software Engineer|
|1996 – 1997||SENTEL Corporation||Sr. Software Engineer|
|1994 – 1996||George Mason University||Sr. Programmer Analyst|
|1993 – 1994||AOL||Sr. Support Engineer|
|1992 – 1993||US Department of Interior||Computer Specialist I|
|1991||George Mason University||Database Programmer|
|2019||Platform Strategy: Building and Thriving in a Vibrant Ecosystem||MIT Sloan Executive Education|
|2019||Digital Marketing Analytics||MIT Sloan Executive Education|
|2019||Mastering Design Thinking||MIT Sloan Executive Education|
|2018||Blockchain Technologies: Business Innovation and Application||MIT Sloan Executive Education|
|2011||Certified Scrum Master (CSM)||Scrum Alliance|
|2010||Doing Business with the EU: …Programme at Mansfield College||Oxford University|
|2007||Fundamental Selling Techniques …||AMA|
|2003||Technology Strategy Consulting 101||Microsoft|
|2002||Essential ASP.NET, Essential Web Services .NET||Developmentor|
|2002||Application Security Principles||@stake Academy|
|2002||Microsoft Global Briefing||Microsoft|
|2001||Microsoft Global Briefing||Microsoft|
|2001||Programming the .NET Framework||Wintellect|
|2000||Strategies for Conducting Effective Meetings||On-site Consultant|
|1999||Microsoft Solutions Framework (MSF)||Microsoft|
|1999||Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF)||Microsoft|
|1999||Essential NT Security||Developmentor|
|1999||Baltimore Technologies PKI Conference, Dublin, Ireland||Baltimore Technologies|
|1998||Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet (MCP+I) Certification||Microsoft|
|1998||Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) Certification||Microsoft|
|1997||Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) Certification||Microsoft|
|1997||Effective Communication for Selling||On-site Consultant|
|2005 - 2010||Top Secret, SBI|
|1995 - 2000||Secret|